Friday, September 17, 2004

Watt? ...you ain't no light bulb!

Here's a quote for ya! Tommy Edison is quoted as saying - "If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."

I think I would add something like, "and you'd be miserable to live with" Maybe I just mean that for myself. I would be miserable. I don't think I could handle myself after accomplishing all those "next best things". Where would I go from there. I see people looking for more adrenalin, so they risk their lives. I see people with warped senses of 'what makes an accomplishment' all over the place. Thomas Edison was no idiot, but the first message that should be said is, "If you have the ability to discern between right and wrong, then teach others the art of priority". After that, then find your drive for reaching your capabilities.

There's a reason God hasn't let me win the lottery or some talent agent found me and put me on a movie screen. I'd be a mess. I can only imagine the struggle it would take to keep myself grounded. I could see myself demanding that my dressing room have BBQ sandwiches, beer, a Playstation 2, a massage therapists, a mariachi band and a midget. ....and everything must be 'blue'. Yeah, baby! So, Tommy! In response.. If I did all the things I am capable of, then it's very possible that I'd be bored and without friends. I've found happiness where I am. I can sure set goals to be better, but I don't set myself up for disappointment if I say 'pass' on one thing for another. ...another being sleep. ;-)

In the words of Bobby McFerrin - "Don't worry, be happy.. Dooooo - do - duti - duti - dutidoooo."

-Gary

No comments: