Monday, October 18, 2004

Start me up

It amazes me to think how many times I get in my truck in the AM, put the key in the the little 'turny thing', give it a twist and a few seconds later, I'm off to work. Many of us, don't care about the key giving juice to a starter, engaging the engine, pistons firing off in perfect timing to kick start the motor, before we can drive away. ...oh ...and forget about the gears moving while we're driving, that's a whole different story. Yet, we're happy to go on as Car Owners, and we make sure the oil gets changed, and the tank stays full. God handles the rest. (or a mechanic).

How about computers? We turn it on, we balance our budget, we write email, but we never consider how the machine turns little binary numbers into a complex method of data transfer. We don't understand how IP address subnetting and routing works (Well... I do), or how this data goes thru the Internet and re-translated back into some words in our respective languages. Do we care? I only do because it's my job, but other than that.... Hell no! It all just works. We put faith in so many things in our lives. The car starting, the computer working, the white line in the road will keep cars from hitting me, the sun will come up, then it will go down.

So what's my point? I don't have one... I just thought about this in my chair, and really didn't go anywhere with it, so how about I finish with a song. Wanna hear it? Goes like this....

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Corporation tee-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday.
Man, you been a naughty boy, you let your face grow long.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus,
goo goo a'joobt"

How about those damn 'Beatles'? They could make some crazy stuff up, huh?

-Gary

No comments: