Monday, June 20, 2005

Bravery

I once read a quote that was something like "Bravery isn't the absence of fear. Bravery is being afraid and doing it anyways."

I had a good Fathers Day. I spent the weekend with my son, who gave me a great example of that quote. 'Buddy' has always been a 'pool' swimmer, and has never been in any lakes or rivers. Saturday we went out on Lake Conroe in a ski boat and once out in the middle, cut the engine and we started attaching the rope and getting the kneeboard out. So, of course, being the horrible father that I am, set Dan up to be thrown in. (Dan is 8). He went in, but he went in with the BIG EYES. Of course, he stopped on top of the water like Scooby Doo, and ran in place a couple times and made it to the side of the boat hanging on with both hands, and his hair wasn't even wet. So I go over there, I take his wrists, and he gives me his complete faith by letting go of the boat. (...possibly thinking that I'm going to pull him back in). Before I do, I tell him "Dan, you should go ahead, lay back and get used to this. You'll like it." ...and here's the part that impressed me. Dan got this look of concentration on his face while he processed what it would take for him to be set free of my hands and the boat and be his own little island in the middle of Conroe's 21,000 acre body of water with 40 ft. beneath him, and all kinds of creatures just waiting to nibble his toes. He's not looking at me at this point, but he's looking straight in front of him, eyes squinting and with a 'Victorious' example of bravery, he gives me 'the nod'. You know this nod. It's the one you see from Pro Rodeo Cowboys before they open the gate to ride a bull named 'Widowmaker' or 'NutSmasher'. With that nod, I lay him on his back (he's wearing a life jacket) and he floats back away from the boat. Of course, as you all know, it's all fun after that, and we couldn't get him out of the water. Fast forward to Sunday, and my friend Beth and I rent a couple jetski's and we took Dan out to the middle. He didn't even hesitate. Beth's jetski was a good 30 ft away, and he jumps in and swims over to her.

All that's left to say is, "That's Dan, my son! I made him" (Unless he ends up a criminal in therapy, then it's all his momma's doing).

-Gary

No comments: