Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Heineken Everywhere!

I'm in Rotterdam today and I there's even Heineken in the little fridge in my hotel room.

Drove up from Germany and on the way I stopped by the American Cemetary in Margraten, Netherlands. I have a relative that was killed in action on August 26th, 1944 during the war. His name is on a wall there and I wanted to see it and get some pictures.














It was a pretty amazing place and reminded me of when Colin Powell said "After World War I, or World War II, or even at the end of the Cold War, we could have imposed our will on the world but we didn’t. All we ever asked for was the opportunity to raise up our former enemies, and to get back to the business of peace and democracy. The only other thing we ever asked for was enough land to bury our dead. We never wanted anyone else’s land or sovereignty over anyone."

I'm told by the people who work there that the Memorial Day ceremony there is the biggest in Europe. Makes sense, but it's supposed to be pretty amazing averaging about 6000 people there.

Here's a link to more pictures. Enjoy!

-Gary

No comments: