Friday, September 07, 2007

Trimethylxanthine

I quit Trimethylxanthine on Tuesday. The last time I took the psychoactive stimulant was Monday night in the form of Coke. Yep, I'm talking about Caffiene. Over the past 100 years that I've been chain-drinking soda's, my body has build up a substantial number of adenosine receptors in my central nervous system. Who doesn't mind a few extra receptors, am I right? Well, the problem with those extra receptors is that my body built up a tolerance to caffeine. As a matter if fact, it was nothing for me to have a soda just before going to bed and still sleep like a baby. Not the kind of baby that wakes up every 2 hours screaming, but more like the kind of baby who has a momma that puts alcohol in the bottle to help him/her sleep.

So what's the big deal about adenosine receptors? Well adenosine serves to regulate blood pressure. The increased effects of adenosine due to caffiene withdrawal causes the blood vessels of the head to dilate, leading to an excess of blood in the head and causing headache and nausea. Well there we go. In short, that's where I've been living the past 4 days. (Today being day 4)

The more I read about caffeine withdrawal and the possible effects it could have on a person, the more I feel lucky that all I had was blinding headaches and some serious stomach issues the last few days. Now I won't say I haven't been irritable. Just ask my boss. But the pros say this could also put people into depression and just the fact that I'm having a pretty good life right now counteracts the crap out of that. I'm a lucky man. I'm in a lot of pain right now, but still... a very lucky man!

No comments: