Friday, August 13, 2004

Dont tread on me.

My name is 'Generic Christian'. I drink beer. I cuss when I'm angry, and I stare at the models on the magazine rack when I'm in line at the grocery store. I do things wrong AND I believe in God. Don't be scared... I won't throw chicken bones at you. But how many of you already called me a hypocrite?

Some people reading this will agree with my belief that there is a God; a creator who has a plan for us. I know several people who are on the absolute opposite end of that subject. The people I call friends range everywhere in between. I think it's peculiar how many people are quick to spout out about palm readers, kharma, luck, etc., but when you mention God, the shields go up automatically. I'm sure people find my beliefs just as peculiar, but I often question why some of these people have such strong opinions about something they know so little about. I've heard people describe Christians as 'hypocrites'. I'm sure much of this has to do with the irresponsibility of televangelists, and the media. I've known several well-spoken, well-read, normal people who have a strong relationship with the Lord and thier beliefs. However, television has a tendency to react the same way with religion as they do with tornadoes. "Lets go find the dumbest hillbilly affected by this, and interview them. Then the whole world will stereo-type those kind of people as tornado targets and cult members."

Stereotypical Football player interview, "I would, first of all, like to thank God, my momma, my agent, and God. I'm just so happy and blessed to stand up here and talk in broken grammar with missing teeth and give props to the almighty for giving me the talent to blow out my knees and retire and go bankrupt all before my 35th birthday. ...and I'd like to thank God, too. God Bless. Please someone show me how to get to the locker room from here."

Let's really get down to the nuts and bolts of what 'hypocrisy' really is.

hy·poc·ri·sy (h-pkr-s) n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies
1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.

Ok, so yeah. I get it. One that preaches, "Don't SIN!", then goes out and sins. Well correct me where I missed the boat. I've been going to church, bible studies, small groups, etc. long before I was old enough to walk, and one thing I've always learned was; "Gary, you're a sinner and you always will be!" Was I told not to sin? No way.. I was told to make an effort to imitate Jesus Christ, and walk as much in the light as I could. I was given opportunities to learn lessons to help me down that path, but I was never told, "Gary, be perfect or you're going to hell!". My point is, Christians sin. I speak for many believers when I say, "I'm not a hypocrite when I go out and get road rage at all Houston cabbies and wrecker drivers." The difference between a non-believer and me is not the ability of being perfect. The difference is that I was taught that my imperfections are forgiven. I've never seen Heaven, and God has never come down to my bedroom and written on the wall that it exists for me when my heart stops beating. But, the lessons I've learned through 'faith' and the historical writings in the Bible have shown me that it's worth shooting for, and that faith gives me hope. Seriously, what's the harm if I'm wrong? You all should be happy Christians play by rules that promotes generosity, selflessness and charity. I know some beliefs that are using their warped sense of religion to behead hostages.

Realize, I'm not making a blanket statement against all non-believers. I have a good friend who is an atheist. She's someone I respect for her resolve, fairness and overall friendliness and respect for others. She knows what my beliefs are, and she never crosses the line with blatant uneducated remarks. We may jest about it occasionally, but it never hurts our respect for each others stance. I have no idea what her motivation may be for her exceptional character traits, but I respect that it's working for her.

What works for you?

-Gary

No comments: