I had a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday. She doesn't live in Houston, but with the use of email and chat programs, it's always easy to stay current on each other's lives. We discuss who we're dating, if we're dating, how we're living, and whether work sucks or not that week.
Last February this friend of mine made an incredible impact on me, and this is one of many reasons why I call her a friend. An act of kindness so huge that I can say that this will be remembered for as long as my mind stays healthy or until I die. It was large and no words can describe the impact that was felt from this act.
Did it cost her alot of money? ...no
Did it require a large time commitment? ...no
Did she get hurt thru personal sacrifice? ...no
So what did she do?
....she left me a voicemail. She wanted to know if I was ok, and if I needed anything. That's it.
I could go into the details, but the point I'm making only requires me to say that I was attending a funeral after my grandmother died and the timing was right. Have you ever known people who are dealing with the death of someone that was close to them? Have you ever felt like you didn't want to interrupt their greiving at the risk of an unpredictable response? I have... but after this year, and her voicemail, I've decided that the smallest effort in letting someone know you're there is the best thing you can do for someone.
They might remember it or they might not even hear you, but it's the right thing because when they need to grab on to someone's shoulder, then 'someone' needs to be there. It doesn't always relate to funerals. It can be anytime someone is struggling. I've personally made the decision that when a friend is hurting, I will be available. ....like my friend was to me.
So specifically to my friend. "Thanks, you made a difference."
-Gary
Thursday, August 19, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment